Visual Stimulus

Thursday 10 May 2012

Work Placement Day 8: "Painting Paintings"

Working Hours: 10:30am - 6:30pm
Definitely my most enjoyable day on placement so far, the main downfall being that I didn't get to spend it with Natalie.
For the morning, I was instructed to 'do the painting'. In that I now had to FINISH my Gerhard Richter transcription. I don't think I did too bad a job considering:
a) the huge size of the painting
b) the small image I had to work from
c) my limited time
d) the fact I hadn't used oils- or done any sort of 'proper painting' since A-level... many years ago.
I worked outside, and felt a lot better outside in the fresh-air, meaning I had better light and less fumes from the copious amounts of white spirit.
Here is my finished result:




The Designer has yet to see it, I really hop she's ok with it, I'm very nervous.
The other good thing about today was that the Scenic painter was in. I'm so annoyed I can't remember her full name, so I will find out tomorrow.
She was lovely, and I had a whale of a time learning some tricks of the trade from her, and doing some creative prop painting for a change. I think the reason I enjoyed this day so much more than some of the others was because I felt like I was being put to work in a creative, rather than logistic context, which appeals to me a lot more and seems sufficiently more relevant to my degree. I also enjoy any opportunity to learn from professionals, so relished my time with the scenic artist and also with the production manager Di Steadman, who is full of useful little tips and tricks.
This is why I was very disappointed to be made to stop working with the scenic artist, and do something thoroughly uncreative and tediously labour-intensive.... Instead of continuing painting a cabinet to look like Mahogany (which I was rather enjoying) Natalie and I were reunited again only to be made to carry every prop and set piece from the top floor (Where the rehearsal space is) down to the Studio Theatre on ground level. It was very hard work, and I was sad because I didn't feel like I was getting as much from the experience as I would have been if I'd stayed with the Painting Crew. They are coming back tomorrow so I really hope to spend as much time as possible, learning as much as possible..... but alas I'm in for a Tech Rehearsal at 9:00am... so I don't know what the chances are...

No comments:

Post a Comment