Visual Stimulus

Thursday 31 May 2012

Set Design Tutorial

I feel so much better after today's tutorial! I almost have a final set design now- which is such a relief! phew!

Most of my work on it might have to wait until the mezzanine/gallery floor is erected next week, but I now have the basic concept sorted at least!

The idea which I've now settled on was the concept which I was the most excited about from the 3 new initial designs I created: The washing Line one. Once my tutor had discussed the technical specifications with me, it became evident that actually the washing-line idea was far more 'do-able' than I initially thought. I'm a bit nervous about working-out the angles and sight-lines etc, but it's important to say that the washing would only be pullied down for select 'moments' in select scenes- adding versatility and variety to the space.
I expressed that I missed the element of water in my washing-line design, and asked whether it was possible just to have a simple fountain in the middle, then it dawned on me that it would really make sense to make it into a washing space, so have more of a blocky platform with a hollow filled with water and maybe a pump... adorned with a few wet pieces of fabric and maybe a washboard.... On discussion with my tutor, he suggested that I could have a lid to the wash-hole which would enable it to be changed into a platform/table/chair, which I think is a brilliant idea.
So the general idea is that the washing can be lowered in and out in order to add emphasis to different moments. At the beginning for example, as the audience come in, ALL the washing will be down, hanging across the stage so the audience have to find their way through it in order to get to their seats. Then, in an homage to traditional theatre, as the play begins, all the washing will be pullied up to the rafters- revealing the first scene- like the curtain rising on a proscenium arch theatre.
I have a few other ideas for other 'moments' within the play, but I will need to talk to the director. For example, during Act3, Scene 3, when Borachio is divulging his evils to Conrad whilst the watch listen on, I though that maybe, in relative darkness, one of the sheets on the line could be manipulated into a makeshift-fort/tent where Borachio and Conrad's silhouettes are lit by candle-light as the Watch observe from outside.
Or for example, when Benedick is eavesdropping 'out-of-sight' on Don Pedro, Claudio, and Benedick, he could perhaps pick up a small tree and walk around with it- or even use the sheets again- wrapping himself up- almost like a Sari.
Anyway there's plenty to think about, and I am excited! hooray hooray! Back on track!

Some little quick sketches:
 Who would've thought that I used to be able to draw once upon a time....
























Other Things Discussed in Tutorial:
-Although the seating rostra can be blue, not EVERYTHING can be blue like on the design, because of the quick turn-around to the next play- think about which bits NEED to be blue, and look back at the research images- see how the blue is mixed with other materials e.g. terracotta.  Also talk to Lauren the designer of Canterbury tales about whether she would be ok with blue.
-The fountain is too high, if I were to go for that idea- the maximum height of a centrepiece in the round should be about waist-height.
-The pergola idea may hinder acting/choreography.
-think about draping fabric on the underside of the decking.
-Maybe the initial scene could take place amidst the audience- gallery?
-Tree needs to be smaller.

No comments:

Post a Comment