Visual Stimulus

Saturday 5 May 2012

Work Placement Day 5: "Seeing Spots..... and stripes"

Working Hours: 10:00am-7:30pm
Today was such a long an infuriating day.
The tasks we needed completed by Saturday morning (when the actors were coming in to the theatre for a run-through):
-Mask lines of both 'houses' and on floor- to measurements specified by designer: must be straight.
-Paint lines
-Glaze both 'houses' and the whole floor.
On paper, it may not look like a lot, but I left at 7:30 and we'd only just started glazing. I literally spent all day up a ladder masking straight lines, and it was dizzying work. The more lines you masked the more your depth perception went berserk, making being up a ladder even more difficult.
Starting to mask the lines: East side of Stage
Just like colouring in the hollows inside the holes yesterday, this job of drawing the lines took everyone so much longer than expected, and I couldn't help feeling that there must have been a quicker way to do it. I was also a bit worried that the lines were too thin and too light- that in fact all our efforts would be wasted.... but that remains to be seen with the lighting design etc.
Natalie did the floor, I did the walls.
Starting to paint the masked lines: West Side of stage
Before and after. Floor on left :still masked, floor on right: painted with masking removed...........
I was also deeply disheartened because having spent a lot of time and effort beautifully painting the studio theatre floor, it was now, when we came to glaze it, covered in scuff-marks, dust and footprints. This was so infuriating, and made me think twice about painting the floor for 'Much Ado'. We were advised that the footprints would 'disappear' underneath the glaze.... let's hope that's the case when I come back on Tuesday...
The moment of truth.... was it really worth it?

End Result before glazing

I can completely sympathise with the designer, she is very lovely, and worked hard all day alongside Natalie and I, plus I can understand wanting everything to be done perfectly, and hopefully she'll feel like this labour-intensive process will be worth it in the end.
This was such a long day.... and then I had to travel back to Brighton straight from work because I don't have accommodation in London over the weekend, I'm hoping this means I can lock myself in the house and bash-out my POP essay....

Good Matte Glaze..... but terrified us when it went on blue...


No comments:

Post a Comment