Visual Stimulus

Friday 18 May 2012

Casting Sessions for Much Ado and Cementville

Today was another very interesting day.
Lovely director Doug Cockle, had invited myself and the Designers for Cementville (Zoe Rolph and Tassie Green), to the casting sessions for our respective plays! What an experience, so glad to have been a part of it. I'm so grateful throughout that my director has been so willing to let me get involved with every stage of the process rather than simply 'traditional design'.
The auditions took all day, so obviously were tedious at times, but it was just so so interesting seeing how different acting students tackeled the same roles. There were lots (well a few) potential Heros and Claudios, but Benedick and Beatrice were very hard to get 'right'. However, I am so pleased with what I've seen today, and whether Doug chooses to take into consideration my feedback or not, I am so grateful to have been part of the process- really eye-opening! Can't wait to see the final casting decisions... it's all so exciting!

 This evening I watched Felicity Kendal's Indian Shakespeare Quest on bbc iplayer. I'm so lucky to have so many pertinent programmes around at the moment, and watching this one was really interesting. It made me understand more the relationship between India and Shakespeare and certainly made me feel A LOT better about any potential qualms I still had about cultural appropriation issues. Very insightful.


No comments:

Post a Comment