Visual Stimulus

Wednesday 9 May 2012

Work Placement Day 7: "Sourcing Allsorts"

Working Hours: 10:30am - 6:00pm
The last two days have involved sufficiently more enjoyable tasks, today being more varied than yesterday. We spent the majority of the day trying to source more props from around Hammersmith and Chiswick, with varied success. And despite the fact that it was pouring with rain and we were struggling to find things on the somewhat ambiguous list, it was still great to get out and about- and I genuinely quite enjoy sourcing. I always get a bit frustrated sourcing in London though, because you almost have too much choice, and I don't know which areas are best for what, despite having lived there.
Things I have learnt:
-Although the Internet suggests that Powdered Milk is a good Cocaine substitute, my suggestion of icing sugar actually works much better.
-Concocting a low budget soft-drink beverage that looks like beer is harder than it sounds. We hope to try a mixture of this dark fruity limited edition Schloer, diluted coke, and apple juice....
-Some phone shops are happy to give you ex-display models as props.... some definitely won't. Today we had success with O2 and the Carphone Warehouse, but EVERY other phone shop in the world said no.
After sourcing, and a late lunch, I had to start my big (140cm x 160cm) Gerhard Richter transcription.
I am soooo worried about this as I haven't done any oil painting for years... and this sort of photographic-style has never been my strong point. I have realised that I will definitely need more white oil paint... and hopefully at £4 a pop, there will be room in the budget for it.  I just did some blocking-in today before leaving it for the night, as the white spirit fumes were becoming a bit over-powering- leaving me a bit spacey on the tube home. If I'm going to be painting all day tomorrow I might try to move to a room that has at least SOME ventilation, or weather permitting I could move outside and get some good natural light.... or maybe they might have a mask I could wear... I doubt it.
An hour or so of initial work....

When I got home, I superimposed my blocked-in painting over the original using photoshop to see if I'd gotten the proportions correct. It all seems pretty bang-on (which is good) but the neck needs to come-in a bit, and the chin needs to be sufficiently shallower, finishing higher. Other than that- should all be fine and dandy.... I hope... eeek!
Photoshop file, see how the chin profile is mismatched

No comments:

Post a Comment