Visual Stimulus

Saturday 22 September 2012

Day2: Organizing and Sourcing


I started today by trying to contact the landscaping company that does the university campus to see if they could give me some tree-help. Alas, as I suspected, they go by normal working hours, so I'll have to try again on Monday morning so that I can get the measurements of the base for the tree to sit in to John asap.
Sarah had sent me some links to jackets that we could potentially buy-n-dye, but I'm a little bit concerned about a few things:
http://www.dennys.co.uk/Patrol-Jacket/groupproduct/410/
This was the link Sarah sent me, which is amazing. I honestly didn't think we'd be able to get white jackets with those collars, but apparently chefs jackets are the answer. However, I am concerned both with the quality of the fabric and the length of the sleeves.
On the same website I found these:
http://www.dennys.co.uk/White-Nehru-Jacket/groupproduct/4111/
Where the sleeves look a better length, but the fabric concern is still pertinent. Also the female jacket looks a far better cut than the male one, but I doubt we could get away with using the female jackets presumably due to paneling that is shaped for the bust and hips.
But we shall keep searching.


I then trawled a few shops in Pokesdown, most notably 'Clobber' where I found a few things that might be useful. I found a blazer that's not perfect but could work for Benedick- but it was way too expensive. If I decided we'd like it then I could maybe have a chat about them massively reducing the cost, or maybe they'd be happy to hire it. An even better find was a perfect (!!) white nehru jacket! Just like the ones we'd been looking at on Denny's but for only £12!!! However, a few problems as follows. Although the fabric quality was perfect, it looked like it MAY be coated- in which case it wouldn't be dye-able. And the other (main) problem being that there was only 1, and we would need 2 exactly the same. Still, £12- bargain!

I can't by anything until we've done measurements, which I need to email the director about scheduling in on Monday week when the actors return.
In the evening I did some tile research, but I have a feeling that getting real tiles for the top side of the well is going to be SO pricey, given that half of them need to be ornate.  And although I found some beautiful ones on some websites, they are all WAY TOO EXPENSIVE.
http://www.euromkii.com/category/motif/repetitive-patterns?page=3
Having talked to the rest of the team, it seems that everyone needs some role-clarification. The Costume Supervisor and the Costume Buyer are unsure where 1 ends and the other begins, and the technical assistant is also at a loss. My Set Assistant is a designer on another show, so I don't know how much she's expected to commit. And I for one have NO idea how much I'm meant to be delegating, how much I'm meant to be doing myself, what I'm handing-in, when I'm handing in, and what I'm supposed to record during this project. I was just sticking to the blog and file approach, but since talking to one of last year's designers I've realised that I might need to do a production journal and also an on-going sketchbook. But this is something I need to bring up with a tutor next week methinks.


No comments:

Post a Comment