Visual Stimulus

Sunday 11 March 2012

S.D.P: A look ahead

SDP : A look ahead

In anticipation of receiving my play tomorrow, I have been thinking a lot about it over the past weekend. In my head I came up with three stipulations that in an ideal world the play choice would adhere to:

1.    It would not be a play that I am already familiar with:
For me, this unit is very much about the learning process, and therefore I felt I would benefit far more from designing for a play that was based around a context that I am currently completely unfamiliar with, enabling me to learn about a whole new area and play and playwright and era, completely in-depth. Furthermore, I didn’t want to come to the script with any preconceptions that might potentially influence my designs. A fresh slate is always best surely?

2.    It would not be set in the 1970s:
This point is less important than the previous, but is for similar reasons. As much as I actually love designing for the seventies as an era, my last big design project before ‘Battle For the Winds’ was Dennis Potter’s ‘Brimstone and Treacle’, and therefore having completely immersed myself in the 1970s for that play, I would again, rather have a completely new set of research to conduct.

3.    It would not be set in the middle-ages:
Having spent a lot of my time helping out on the set of In Extremis last term, I felt that the middle-ages was a marvellous era in terms of set design, but I think I would find it very difficult to design costumes for this epoch. But a challenge would be good. So this is again, the least important of the three stipulations.



Primarily I would just really like to have an interesting play that throws me into new research areas, that I have little or no preconceptions about, and that excites me.

Fingers-crossed for tomorrow’s reveal!!

No comments:

Post a Comment