Visual Stimulus

Wednesday 28 March 2012

Research, Reseach, Research

I spent today in the library trying to surround myself with research. I was actually very disappointed at the selection of books the uni had on WW1 uniforms, or anything like that, and the ' World History' Section was much more helpful than the Costume/Fashion section, as one would imagine.
Luckily I found some buried treasure; disappointed at the Library's shameful lack of useful books (as shown by the online catalogue browser) I took it upon myself to peruse the shelves, where I found a beautiful old collection of books- 13 volumes in total, documenting all the different parts of the First World War. In these wonderfully old-smelling books (THE GREAT WAR by H.W. Wilson) I found so much in-depth information about the Indian Army's changing role throughout WWI and some really wonderful photos and illustrations too. Sadly they were 'reference only' books (perhaps why the faithful library catalogue browser failed to draw them to my attention) which meant spending all afternoon scanning and scanning and scanning. So now I have a nice selection of historical research to read on the train back to Brighton on Friday. 
This was one of my favourite images I found:
Has some nice local charm! Also wouldn't it be incredibly spooky if this was a production of 'Much Ado About Nothing'?!? Not a completely far-fetched idea. I would say that reading left to right that could be: Don Pedro, Beatrice, Benedick, Leonato, Hero, Friar Francis, Claduio- with The Watch in the background. You never know......      
This is the second photo I've found that has jumped-out at me for having some relation to where I live, as I also found out that the Royal Pavillion in Brighton was used as a hospital during WWI for injured Indian soldiers. Here is a photo, I will have to makesure I visit when I go back and see if anyone can tell me anything about it....

No comments:

Post a Comment